Friday, November 19, 2010

Bacon and Cheese Biscuits with gravy.

Yes, bacon and cheese biscuits with gravy. They are as awesome as they sound! I think it's my new favorite meal. But a warning, it is not for those on a diet. HAHA. No, no, no. But after tasting it you may just give up that diet anyways. :)

I couldn't fine a recipe that I liked for biscuits, because I don't have buttermilk and I don't like cutting them out, or kneeding them. So, pretty much I just wanted a lazy biscuit recipe. Couldn't find one though. Here is what I came up with.. I think.

Bacony cheesy goodness.


Biscuits
Bacon-I used 5 strips but I think it definitely could have used more than that.
2 1/4 cups Flour
2 Tablespoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Butter- If I had to guess I'd say I used a cup, maybe a little more of butter. It doesn't come in sticks here, though. I know that's a lot, I'm sure if you cut it back some it would still be fine.
1 1/2 cups cheese- I used cheddar.
1 cup milk

Now preheat oven to 390F or 200C. Then fry up that bacon until good and crispy, saving grease if you're making gravy. Crumble up the bacon.
In a large mixing bowl, use a pastry cutter, or fork, (or spoon or hands or really anything you fancy) to combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter, until crumbly. (It works better for me the butter is good and room temperature). Add bacon and cheese. And then the milk. Mine looked too wet at this point but I was out of flour so I went with it. Worked just fine. Now drop onto baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes and they'll get nice and browned. (One more extra note, I had limited flour and I didn't accurately measure anything. So just eyeball stuff. :) )

They went fast so I only got two pictures.




Now for the gravy. Gravy is an enemy of mine. But I love it so I continue to try. It turned out GREAT this time. Was a nice color and no lumps! I'll give the instructions on how I make it but if you're someone that likes to have measurements than this isn't for you.

Shot I got after everyone dug in.
Gravy
Heat up that grease from the bacon. Depending on the size of the group you're feeding that may be enough. I had to add some more butter and melt it in. Altogether probably 10 Tablespoons of grease for me.
1/4 cup of flour, to start with. Whisk it together until it's clump free and blended. Continue adding tablespoons of flour the same way until it's no longer runny. And is more pasty. Once you get that, slowly (while whisking) add 2 cups of milk. Just keep whisking until all smooth, then cook until it thickens up and add another cup of milk. Continue adding milk until yours is thin enough. Just whisk vigorously until smooth.

I know that's not really a "recipe". I'm sure one of these days I'll do real measurements. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment